Sunday, September 27, 2015

Assumptions From the Eye of C. Jung

Each opinion is preceded by a quote of a excerpt of Carl Jung's "Memories, Dreams, Reflections"- Photo Credit

Assumptions about Europeans:

"With a single exception, which I shall mention shortly, I never spoke to a native woman, this being what was expected of me. As in Southern Europe, men speak to men, women to women. Anything else signifies love-making. The white who goes in for this not only forfeits his authority, but runs the serious risk of "going black." I observed several highly instructive examples of this. Quite often I heard the natives pass judgment upon a certain white: "He is a bad man." When I asked why, the reply was invariably, "He sleeps with our women.” (316)

He thinks in this part of the book that there is a conduct expected from him for being European and if he fails to do so, it would hurt his chances to communicate better with the Africans. 

Assumptions on Kenyans & Ugandans:

"All in all, Negroes proved to be excellent judges of character. One of their avenues to insight lay in their talent for mimicry. They could imitate with astounding accuracy the manner of expression, the gestures, the gaits of people, thus, to all intents and purposes, slipping into their skins. I found their understanding of the emotional nature of others altogether surprising. I would always take the time to engage in the long palavers for which, they had a pronounced fondness. In this way I learned a great deal. (pg. 314)
It is shown that he stills feels the pressure of his presumptions of what are the conduct of the Africans supposed to be. In some parts of the text he shows that he is clearly evolving and thus the image of what is a(n) “African” is changing. 

Assumptions of a lengthy stay at this precise location:

"Parallel to my involvement with this demanding African environment, an interior line was being successfully secured within my dreams. The dreams dealt with my personal problems. The only thing I could conclude from this was that my European personality must under all circumstances be preserved intact. " (pg. 329)

Basically he does recognize that if dreams become pierced by something of his travels there, it would become a certain sign that he has been pierced and can't continue his travels.

5 comments:

  1. I like his book and the way that he reflect and get to know a culture so different from his that he considered it inferior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you also. As he being a foreigner, he was expected to act and do certain things, that depending on his actions, it could indeed influence the way the people saw him, thus affecting his trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked that Carl even though he was a foreigner he related with the Africans to learn of their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carl Jung has very deep thoughts indeed, he was man that live knowing that he was going to be quoted also him and I share the same initials so... Illuminati confirmed

    ReplyDelete